The inReach Communicator is one of the first of a new generation of Satellite Communicators which use the Iridium system. As a stand-alone unit, it functions as a Satellite Emergency Notification Device (SEND) as well as providing the ability to send pre-written messages and act as a tracking device . When used with a paired device, it can be used to send and receive free form text messages.Two version are available, one for pairing with a DeLorme PN60w GPS unit and one for use with with iOS devices (since version hardware 1.5 of the unit) and Android phones. It is shipping now.
No API information available, presumably third party developers are being handed off to GeoPro , whose Web / Iridium interface is being used for administration and the map Web UI.
- 2012.9.27 [Panbo] Using inReach and release of 12V adaptor
- 2012.6.6 [downloads] 1.6 release increases battery life etc.
- 2012.5.22 [Panbo] Article about the 1.5 release with speculation about ext. 12V
- 2012.5.21 [Blog] Official announcement of the 1.5 update including iOS compatibility
- 2012.2.27 [Review] Rich Owings’ hands-on with inReach
- 2011.11.30 [Part 1, Part 2] Review of the inReach unit by Panbo.
- 2011.11.21 [Press Release] GeoPro LBS Inc. Selected as Development Partner for DeLorme inReach
- 2011.10.03 [FCC submission] inReach (Android version) pictures and manual [viaWaypoints] (ignore security certificate warning)
- 2011.09.25 [FCC submission] inReach (PN60w version) pictures and manual [via Waypoints] (ignore security certificate warning)
- 2011.09.19 [DeLorme Blog] Announces pricing plan
2011.08.04 [REI] Outdoor Retailer Show report – includes subscription rates
- 2011.06.22 [Press Release] The DeLorme® inReach™ affordably provides reliable two-way communication…
- 2011.06.03 [Blog] DeLorme inReach—two-way satellite communicator – initial description