The Spot is a pioneering personal tracking and messaging device, first released in 2007. It comes in two models, the “Spot 2 GPS Messenger” and “Spot Connect”. Both units include a GPS receiver so position will be transmitted with a message as well as in case of an activated SOS. A “Track” service plan is required beyond the standard plan for regular position reporting.
The Messenger is a standalone product, while the Spot Connect is designed to connect to a smart phone via Bluetooth. iPhone and Android Apps are available.
Spot uses the GlobalStar satellites, which use simplex communication, ie. transmit to satellite only, therefore no messages can be received by these units.
Spot for Web Developers
- 2011.09.01 Expedition Portal ’Spot Connect Review by Matthew Scott’
- 2011.09.01 Gravsports Blog ’Quick Review Notes on the Spot 2 and Spot Connect’
- 2011.08.22 Press Release ‘SPOT Connect Satellite Communications App Now Available to International Customers’
- 2011.01.06 Panbo SPOT Connect(s), the mobile apps way.
- 2011.02.14 Bushwalk Australia Techno-Babble Spot 2
- 2009 Memorandum Of Understanding AMSA-GEOS Distress Alerting